If you build a website you will need HTML. HTML is a makeup language that is needed to construct your website content like text and images. In this tutorial we will focus in HTML 5 because that is the most recent and most used version. So lets get started with HTML.
To Get started with HTML you must first create a HTML file by creating a text file called index.html. The index.html file will always be the first page you see when opening a website. At the first line of your index.html file you should write down <!DOCTYPE html> That will also give the browser a hint that this is a website file. Beyond that you write down <html>. If you see a word that is inside <> that means it is a div. If you only see <div> then it means it is opening a div. But if it looks like this </div> it is closing the div. So it is important that you always close a div after you open it. It is possible to place a div inside another. Remember to end the HTML file with </html>. So lets do this step by step:
- Create a text file named index.html.
- At the first line write down <!DOCTYPE html>.
- Beyond that write down <html>.
- At the end of the document write down </html>.
The head above the body
- Open the head under the <html>.
- Leave one empty line and then close the head.
- Under the closed head open the body.
- Open a <h1> tag and write down a title and close the h1 after.
- Close the body before the </html>
- Open the index.html file in you browser
What is a Div
A div is the word between the <>. Some divs are pre made like <body> , <nav> and <footer>. These are the divs you always need when using a website but it is possible to make your own as well. You can use a div class or a div id. To make one write down <div id=”divname”> or <div class=”divname”>. If you close a div class or id you must write down </div>.
- Open a div id with the name test.
- Write down a <p> and add some text to it.
- Close the <p> and after that close the div like this </div>.